What is Kia UVO and How Does It Work?
When it comes to staying both informed and entertained on the road, manufacturers are stepping up their game. Not only has it become somewhat of an arms race to see who can put the most premium branded infotainment experience in their vehicles, but it’s a safety issue as well. The grim truth is that a driver who has been in an accident with a vehicle is unlikely to buy from that manufacturer again. So, small investments in minimizing distractions with technology can go a long way for future sales.
It’s not all cynicism, though. With features like rear-view cameras now being mandatory in cars, the automotive market is preparing itself for the day when laws are passed that make smartphone use in vehicles only possible through the stereo system. By implementing such systems now, manufacturers are staying ahead of this potential legislation. Perhaps nobody has been more attuned to the need for distraction-free connectivity, information and entertainment technology than Kia. For years, Kia has offered a superior state-of-the-art infotainment experience at nearly every trim level of their vehicles. You know this experience as UVO.
What is UVO?
Short for “your voice,” UVO is the name Kia has given to their suite of infotainment features, hardware and software. In most Kia models, UVO begins with the 7- or 8-inch touchscreen display that also features physical buttons to allow you to control the system without looking at it while driving.
UVO has been praised by automotive journalists and critics for its speedy responsiveness, engaging graphics design and a deep well of features that allows you to do things like rewind satellite radio or connect your iPhone or Android phone using Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.
What Type of UVO Systems Are There?
UVO has usually existed in three incarnations. With the announcements of the 2019 Optima, Sorento, and Soul, Kia has changed these up. Here are the new UVO systems that are included in most 2019 Kia vehicles:
- UVO play – Starts with a touchscreen and gives you access to radio presets and more. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity are standard.
- Kia Access with UVO link– (currently available on 2019 Optima, 2020 Soul, and 2020 Telluride) Includes everything from UVO play with the added benefit of vehicle diagnostics, maintenance alerts, remote start and more all through your smartphone.
- UVO Link with Navigation – Like it sounds, Link with Navigation includes all the features from UVO Link but adds built-in navigation that doesn’t require a smartphone or data.
- UVO Eservices - A legacy product, still supported with tons of functionality. ENHANCED ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE, PARKING MINDER, AND VEHICLE DIAGNOSTICS
Which UVO is Right for Me?
This is 100% a matter of taste. Models like the 2019 Kia Optima which include UVO as a standard feature reserve UVO Link and UVO Link with Navigation for their higher trim levels. So, if you’re interested in vehicle diagnostics or integrated remote start, you’ll want a package that includes this.
Even with UVO play, however, you’ll find the possibilities for navigation and more are endless thanks to Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, both of which give you access to the maps programs on your smartphone.
The best way to find something that’s right for you is to swing by and try them out for yourself. Contact us today with any questions you may have or to schedule a trial with Kia’s brilliant UVO infotainment!
Sign up for our UVO eServices workshop class here to learn about your UVO app and what it can do for you?
Download the app today!
Enjoy some of the benefits of the new redesigned Kia access with UVO link app:
About Kia Access with UVO link
Kia Access with UVO link is the official Kia Motors America owner’s app. Kia Access with UVO link makes getting your vehicle information and services easier than ever. Gain all the benefits of the Kia Owner’s Portal, combined with the convenient, streamlined features of UVO link (if equipped)  – right in the palm of your hand.
Download the app to access:
- Owner’s Manual, quick guides, videos, and warranty information
- Vehicle payment information (if financed through Kia Motors Finance)
- Information about maintenance milestones
Vehicles equipped with UVO link may also have access to the following features:
- Vehicle health reports 
- Send locations to your vehicle’s navigation system 
- Remotely lock/unlock doors and initiate horns & lights 
- Remotely find your car 
- Remotely set your car’s cabin temperature 
Get Kia Access with UVO link today! (The app is currently available for 2019 Optimas with UVO link and Kia owners with vehicles without UVO.)
- UVO eco users – Kia Access with UVO link will be available for you soon!
- UVO luxe users – Kia Access with UVO link will be available for you in the future. In the meantime, please continue to enjoy the UVO luxe app.
- UVO eServices users – Please continue to enjoy the UVO eServices app.
Create an owner account directly from the app or go to: Kia.com/owners
 Features only available for vehicles equipped with UVO link. Determine UVO availability for your vehicle by visiting: https://owners.kia.com/content/owners/en/uvo-availability.html/
 Vehicle must be equipped with UVO link and navigation
 Some vehicles with UVO link may not support remote climate control (e.g., 2019 Optima LX)
Only use UVO when safe to do so. Message and data rates may apply. Cellular and GPS coverage is required to use most features. UVO features may vary by model, model year, and trim level. Features, specifications, and fees are subject to change. For more on details and limitations, visit https://owners.kia.com/content/owners/en/uvo-availability.html/ or your authorized Kia dealer.
Remote Features: Do not use remote climate control or remote start if your vehicle is in an enclosed area (e.g., closed garage) or a partially enclosed area without ventilation. Close all doors leading from adjacent living areas to the vehicle area before executing a remote climate control or remote start command.